My Blog List

Thursday, October 29, 2015

My Sugar Addiction Part 1 of 3


As I was pondering what the Lord would have me share next, it came in that instant-
" share your journey with your sugar addiction and how I have helped you. Share it ALL, the ups and especially the downs with others."
This will be broken up in 3 parts. This post is part of showing the "rest of the Iceburg". Only 10% shows above water (the best part of me, what I show to others) and about 90% below the surface. So often we mortals tend to compare our 90% with everyone else's top 10% (the part above the surface/the good and pleasant things). That is not fair to ourselves or to others. STOP COMPARING yourself to others, just STOP IT!  So without further adieu, on to something that had control over my life for many, many years.

Growing up I lived next door to a tiny little grocery store. It was very easy to take my pennies,  nickels, and dimes and buy some sour patch kids or little packages of Lemon Heads, Boston Bake Beans, or Red Hot's for a dime each. My next fix was only 30 feet a way. I didn't realize I was addicted to sugar for many, MANY years.

In a few weeks it will be 2 years since the Lord has broken the bands of my Treat/Sugar addiction for me. He did it in a very interesting way. One I will always be grateful for. Before this, I would fast off and on for 24-48 hours at a time. That seemed to help. For one, it brought to my attention how often I would (without thinking about it) pop something in my mouth. I was also my daughter's garbage disposal. After I would end the fast, I would be able to go a few days without a relapse. Then the whole cycle would start over again. I would use treats to fill "sweetness" in my life. I have also been an emotional eater. Sound familiar?

The craving would hit hardest after I had a meal especially after having protein. One memory stands out about how desperate I was to get my next  "treat-fix". My husband and I went with other church members up to the Kansas City Temple on a bus. We were traveling back down, (about a 3 1/2 hour drive)  We had packed a lunch/dinner. I didn't pack a dessert. After I had eaten my food, that craving kicked in. I just HAD to have some dessert, preferable something with chocolate. I told me husband, "I need my fix! If I have to I will go down all the aisles until I will find someone that has some and willing to share with me. I'm not shy and this is an emergency." So up I stood and walked down the rows explaining I needed my sugar fix and see who could/would help me out. I only had to go down a few aisles until some lady shared her dessert with me. I don't remember who it was or what she shared. A day didn't go by that I didn't at least have 1 + treats. People would just chuckle and smile. I don't think most people took this serious or rather maybe they had the same addiction as me and in denial?

Some addictions are more noticeable than others. Some are more sociably accepted then others. An addiction is an addiction. Mine just happen to be sociably accepted and pretty cheap to feed. I love to cook and bake. So even IF I didn't have store bought treats/candy, I had the ingredients to MAKE them, or just eat the ingredients by themselves like chocolate chips. It also didn't help that whenever we had church activities there ALWAYS seemed to be "refreshments"-sweets.

The turning point for me is when God stepped in (again) and this time- I let him help me. I will share that in part 2. Learning to become God-Reliant instead of Self-Reliant. Will power was not enough to break this addiction. God is mighty to save and he can even save us from ourselves if we just reach out and cry unto the Lord.

You might not have a sugar addiction like I have had or any addictions, but I know we each have our own "thorns in the flesh" and yoking ourselves to Christ is the answer. Love, your Sister in Christ-Sally






2 comments:

  1. I have overcome this with the Lords help as well. Going on 2 1/2 years without refined sugar. I would feel so guilty on my mission asking people to stop their cigarette addictions when I couldn't go 1 day without sugar. It does need to be addressed..it's like chains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too lived catty-corner to a convenience store. Lemonheads and Chick-o sticks where my favorites, but when desperate I would turn to 3 penny gum. Sugar addiction is totally socially acceptable. However, it is an addiction. Although I haven't absent-mindlessly eaten it in over 8 years, I still think about it. It will take me days to over come one bite of supposed sugary goodness. Many times I have been scorned for being too good by not indulging in refined sugar. It takes a lot of will power to ignore peoples comments. I KNOW that my life is better by not heeding the temptations of refined sugars. Being in control of my body allows my spirit to feel. Feel of The Spirit, feel love, feel happiness and joy. . . For this, overcoming my sugar addiction (through the Living Christ) is worth it!

    ReplyDelete