My Blog List

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Becoming God-Reliant

A few years back while sitting in a Relief Society class the lesson was on being Self-Reliant. The focus was on individuals and having skills, education, good spending habits, other things we could and should do.  A dear sister raised her hand and said, it's not about us and us being reliant on our own. She didn't like the term Self-Reliant. Since then, as I have been coming closer to my Lord, I understand where that sister was coming from. I no longer consider myself "self-reliant".

                                                        I am becoming God-Reliant!

There is something about that above statement that just makes my heart sing! All that I am, all that I have, all that I do, is because of HIM. I am nothing without him!

Instead of focusing on becoming "Self Reliant" how about becoming "God-Reliant" instead? 

For years I tried to do everything myself , because frankly, the only one (I thought) I could TRUST to get the job done and do it the way and when I wanted it done was me. I also tried to be my own Savior. I saw repentance as FAILURE. I wanted to be whole and complete without the Savior first,  then come to him. Boy did I have that all backwords.

Now days I love and am starting to understand repentance (a turning back to God) and the Atonement. We  can be whole and complete by our companionship with Yeshua. It is through his grace and mercy. 

How God-Reliant are you? Do you hear his voice? Do you really trust him? Do you harken to him and him alone?


2 comments:

  1. I love this. This past weekend I reviewed a post I made several months ago. I referenced Matt 11:28-30 where the Lord asks us to come unto him and take upon us his yoke. I realized that so often I try to think, "I've got this, I don't need the Lord's yoke today," and I put it down, only to discover my weakness again and see how much I need the Lord's yoke. That scripture doesn't say "take my yoke upon you until you can do it on your own," it promises that when we humble ourselves and keep his yoke on us that we will learn of him, until we see him and know him because we are like Him and have his countenance upon us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am becoming God-reliant" made my heart sing! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete