My Blog List

Monday, January 29, 2018

Purpose of the Scriptures????

Image result for scriptures
I read the following plea on facebook from a church friend of mine-

"Ok I need help. I'm going to open up and be “real” here....
Scripture study in my house sucks. We try and be diligent but fail more than we succeed. And I think most of it stems from “how” we study scriptures. We’ve tried multiple techniques but I don’t know how to make it anything more than just reading words on a page. We work on discussing, on choosing topics, reading stories that go with the Gospel Art pictures. We try just sitting down and everyone reading a couple verses. But it all feels like we are just going through the motions. And then it seems like...well if they aren’t going to get anything from it, why are we doing this???
Scripture time also seems to be the time that my children lose their ever-loving minds and decide to cause massive contention in the home. I know it is because they aren’t getting anything out of it.
What am I doing wrong?"

As I read this plea for help, insights came into my mind. Also, I have been pondering over the conversation/council from Alma to his son Heleman as well as talking to a dear friend about the scriptures. This has lead to me doing this specific blog post. 

It's great to ask questions, that is a big thing I have learned from the scriptures, is to ASK questions and more questions. I keep a pencil with me when I get the scriptures out. They go hand and hand. 

Q: What is the PURPOSE of the scriptures. Or asked another way Q: What is the intention/design of the scriptures?
Q: What constitutes scriptures/Holy Writ?
Q: What IF the purpose of the scriptures it to bring you to an awareness of others who have been brought back to the presence of God?
Would that give you hope?
Would that give you the faith needed to know that since God is no respecter of persons, then it is possible for you as well? 
That you and I can also receive revelation, and gain our own personal relationship with Christ? 
That the veil can be rent, and you and I walk and talk with God ourselves? 

Are you changed when you read the scriptures/study them? 
Or are you doing it because you are supposed to (duty bound) and the more you do it, you are forming a habit?
If you do the same thing over and over again and getting the exact same results but expecting different results- what would you call that? 

Have you had a mighty change of heart?
Have you been born again? Or in otherwords- Have you had your Baptism of Fire?
Are you a new creature in Christ?
Do you hunger and thirst after righteousness?

What does it mean to wrest the scriptures?

***Do not wrest the scriptures. Do not make excuses, or justify what the scriptures mean or why you are able to not follow them, or you damn yourself.***


So scriptures are a tool that shows the fullness of the gospel, and the restoration of the gospel ALL have the same purpose/ same goal, right? To show how man can be redeemed from the Fall (now- here in the flesh- while here in mortality) To help bring people back to the presence of God,-even the Eternal Father right?

In a way, it is one and the same. It's all about personal relationship with God. 
Scriptures gives eye witness accounts on HOW others have done it and how they brought others to Christ . I think of Ammon and his Brethren. 

Aid of the Book of Mormon-

as a friend of mine reminded me-
The scriptures have been changed, whether inadvertently or not, which inhibits them from the fulfillment of their purpose. Which of course is why the Lord brought forth the Book of Mormon to fix that

The following scriptures popped into my mind- 

5 Wherefore, the Lord hath commanded me to make these plates for a awise purpose in him, which purpose I know not.


7 And I do this for a awise bpurpose; for thus it whispereth me, according to the workings of the Spirit of the Lord which is in me. And now, I do not know all things; but the Lord cknoweth all things which are to come; wherefore, he dworketh in me to do according to his ewill.

1 Nephi 19:3

3 And after I had made these plates by way of commandment, I, Nephi, received a commandment that the ministry and the prophecies, the more plain and precious parts of them, should be written upon athese plates; and that the things which were written should be kept for the instruction of my people, who should possess the land, and also for other bwise purposes, which purposes are known unto the Lord.

Alma 37:12

12 And it may suffice if I only say they are preserved for a awise purpose, which purpose is known unto God; for he doth bcounsel in wisdom over all his works, and his paths are straight, and his course is cone eternal round.


Before my Baptism of fire- I read the scriptures, studied them. More duty bound then Love bound. I would look to others including scripture study guides to help me understand what I was reading. I was "going through the motions" but I was still constantly making errors, struggling with anger, pride, trying and trying to be better, be obedient, ect. 
I was also a master provoker and contention was my best friend. Sad but very true.
Why did I share that?
To show you what is possible with God. Yay God!!! 

Now for the past decade and a half- (After my Baptism of Fire)
I let the Holy Ghost guide me. By the spirit I understand the words of Isaiah. How exciting is that!!!!
I hunger and thirst after righteousness! 
I tell others to look to the scriptures especially the Book of Mormon as food. Spiritual food!
I don't let the Spirit of Contention in. Meaning inside me anymore. 
I am able to stay calm and just love when those around me are influenced by darkness or have unclean spirits in them or attached to them. 


Here's another way of putting it- thanks to my brother and this post he did. I am just doing an except from it -
"Following the scriptures with a pure heart will get a person filled with the Holy Ghost.
The Holy Ghost will inspire a person to apply the scriptures in their unique circumstance.
Following the Holy Ghost will get a person into the presence of the Saviour..." 


Alma tells  his son Helaman:

 8 And now, it has hitherto been wisdom in God that these things should be preserved; for behold, they have enlarged the memory of this people, yea, and convinced many of the error of their ways, and brought them to the knowledge of their God unto the salvation of their souls.

9 Yea, I say unto you, were it not for these things that these records do contain, which are on these plates, Ammon and his brethren could not have convinced so many thousands of the Lamanites of the incorrect tradition of their fathers; yea, these records and their words brought them unto repentance; that is, they brought them to the knowledge of the Lord their God, and to rejoice in Jesus Christ their Redeemer.

10 And who knoweth but what they will be the means of bringing many thousands of them, yea, and also many thousands of our stiffnecked brethren, the Nephites, who are now hardening their hearts in sin and iniquities, to the knowledge of their Redeemer?

In the title page of the Book of Mormon written by the hand of Mormon it reads in part:

"And also to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God manifesting himself unto all nations—And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men; wherefore, condemn not the things of God, that ye may be found spotless at the judgment-seat of Christ."

______________________________________________________________

Q: Are you not getting anything from reading the scriptures/studying them? Or your family is not getting anything from them, but maybe fighting, contention?

Maybe this will shed some light on the matter? This will not be popular and probably rejected, but's that's ok. I am not here to shove things down peoples throats or to be liked. But to just help and follow the Lord.

1 Corinthians 2:14

14 But the anatural man breceiveth not the things of the cSpirit of God: for they are dfoolishness unto him: neither can he eknow them, because they are fspiritually gdiscerned.

Mosiah 3:19

19 For the anatural bman is an cenemy to God, and has been from the dfall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he eyields to the enticings of the fHoly Spirit, and gputteth off the hnatural man and becometh a isaint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a jchild, ksubmissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.
Q: What if scripture study is not the problem, but rather a symptom? 
Q: What if the problem is- you are still a natural man/woman? 
Q: Have you ask God for confirmation?
Q: Have I had my complete baptism-water + spirit?
Q: Do I manifest the fruits of the spirit? 
Q: Have I asked God where I am at on the path?
Is it enough to testify that you know the Book of Mormon is true?
Do you understand the purpose of the scriptures especially the Book of Mormon?
Do you realize that Moroni is speaking to US (LDS)- we are the GENTILES?
May we go further then just open up our scriptures and read them. BUT that we will open up our hearts to be taught what the scriptures actually say and not what we have been taught by others what they say. That it will enlarge our memory, that we will see the errors of our ways, see the incorrect traditions of our fathers, that it might bring us all to repentance or in other words-bring us to the knowledge of the Lord our God, and rejoice in Jesus Christ our Redeemer!
Q: What if to "know" means more then intelligent knowledge?
Q: What if to know or having knowledge = to having experiences?
Food for thought
Love, Sister Sally














2 comments:

  1. Very interesting dear sister. These are the very questions I was given by the spirit when He was teaching me as I read the scriptures. He, our Lord, the Spirit of TRUTH,is indeed the same yesterday,today and forever.
    How I praise Him for His Mercy and love!

    ReplyDelete