My Blog List

Sunday, November 15, 2015

My Sugar Addiction Part 3 of 3


 Instead of just summing things up or writing about it from a 2 year point of view, I thought sharing my own words from when I was going through this would be more valuable/helpful.

Below is excerpts taken from my journal where I recorded my new journey- one without all the treats.

Day 1- Received Heaven's help today. I was able to make Carol's choc. chip cookies and NOT be tempted to sneak into it or have a taste of either the cookie dough or a cookie. Baked them up for Ruben's Cub Choir which had their Christmas Concert tonight. He was asked to bring 2 dozen cookies. After the concert, I helped open a bunch of store bought cookies and was around the treats but didn't partake and really didn't have much of a desire to put that stuff in my mouth.
     Remembering the dream I had this past week has helped me in staying focus....I have given up sugar treats and know Heaven will help me.
This isn't about will power, but rather being meek, mild, humble and depending on the tender mercies of the Lord. Faith, trust, and obedience.

My body is a temple and I should treat it as such. 1 full week of being sick. On the mend now.

Day 2- ...Ruben's dinner choice for tonight was tacos and milkshakes. I choose water to drink instead. My immune system is more important then my taste buds getting a "fix". I value my body, my health, and choosing wellness...

Day 3-Helped Cliff make healthy and yummy Oat Nut Burgers. It's a recipe Bob gave me almost 3 years ago.......Let the kids have leftover choc. chip cookies (from Thursday). I choose not to partake. Later I took a small bite of Derek's cookie without thinking. Then when I was aware of what I did, I spit out the tiny bit in the garbage can.

Day 4 Sunday Dec. 15th, 2013
For my 1st weekly treat, I choose a strawberry yogurt and had 2 small slices of toast with honeybutter. At church today I handed out Ann's cinnamon rolls but for myself choose to gracefully decline. Was tempted for a few minutes tonight to eat one of our choc. chip cookies. But then I REMEMBERED the dream I had about the new path I am on, and had given up the treats and made a covenant with Father. Very tired today, but (my)lungs don't feel as heavy or maybe I'm getting used to it. No longer on fire. ....

Day 5-Did pilates this morning. Did some emotional clearings. Cookies are taking longer to eat because I'm not eating them. Upside down pizza for dinner. Waiting for my immune system to be restored and get my strength back...

Day 6- Forgot to call Scott (my oldest brother) and wish him a happy Birthday..Had a piece of toast and honey butter for snack tonight. Did pilates this morning. Felt good to stretch...Grateful for my body-a covering for me. I am an eternal being that has been spiritually reborn "Baptism of Fire" (I am child/daughter of Christ)
I know I will be a Joint-Heir with Christ. That knowledge is sure. Waiting for the 2nd Comforter and to enter into the "Rest of the Lord"

Day 9- Made peanutbutter balls for the Ward Christmas party. During the making process I absent mindedly tasted a tiny bit that was on my finger. Other then that I had no processed treats. The fudge looked good as well as the mint chocolate cake but I chose not to partake. Tonight after coming home I choose my dessert- A bunch of grapes. They tasted so good. I didn't work out today...

Day 11- Shared my new journey with Cathy, my mom, Cliff of course (my hubby) and today shared it with Bishop Lemmon and Mara. Mara thanked me for sharing with her my journey so far...She told me how a few years ago we talked about food, diet, ect and how I told her I had a sugar addiction and that I needed to probably change.
  Today during RS the teacher taught the lesson"Jepordary Style" she had treats for reward. The candy didn't interest me at all. The candy dish, was almost depleted with 10 min left of class. I said to Cathy-"Maybe I should refill the candy dish." She said I should. So I went to the cabinet and unlocked it and grabbed a couple bags of left over Halloween candy and spent most of the time left passing candy out between the 2 teams.

Soon as I knew that we would be playing the game for RS the Spirit let me know I needed to stepdown/not participate very much. I tend to be VERY competitive and knew I needed to not let myself get carried away. So I didn't answer the first few questions. I rang the bell a couple of times and reached over once causing a fellow RS sister to laugh at me. Another sister early on  told me the following, "Sally, you need to answer the questions so that I can get MY CHOCOLATE". I told her if she needed chocolate that bad, I would just go and open up the closet and hook her up with chocolate. She later made a comment how chocolate made her happy. I corrected her and said chocolate can't make you happy, I know this!

 After church I was offered a sugar cookie from Jason, but I declined. Now I need to focus on early to bed and early to rise and NOT eating right before bed.

Thank you to my Father in Heaven & my Savior Jesus Christ. I could not do this without them.

Day 14-Christmas Day I had 2 or maybe 3 small sliced of pumpkin bread. A small taste of Mom's pie. No candy or other sweets..planning on Pilates and  Body Flex tomorrow.

End of Excerpts
 
Update
 
From that time until last Thanksgiving I had no "treats". It felt great to no longer think, crave, dream about those things. As a bonus, I have had more energy and I lost 5 pounds. Last Thanksgiving I did have a sliver of pumpkin pie, on Dec 30th, my 16th Wedding anniversary I splurged and did have a small piece of cheesecake. This pass year I have had a handful of treats the most recent in October a few dark chocolates. I was reminded why I needed to stay away from that in the first place. That urge/desire to have more came back. The only temptation I had was after Halloween and seeing my favorite candy bar or rather my former favorite candy bar (it's been 2 years since having one) Milkway candy bars floating around in my children's Halloween bags, with even 2 full size bars. None of my kids care for those. (Probably because I have always snagged them up and they never really had the opportunity to eat them.)
 
I still give thanks to my Savior for helping me, for rescuing me from this addiction. Now on to my dairy addiction. Cutting back on that but still have a ways to go. But with my Savior at my side I know this will be taken care off. First is the desire to change. 





No comments:

Post a Comment